Common: Name Benzoin
Scientific Name: Styrax benzoin
Origin: Sumatra, Java and Malaysia (‘sumatra benzoin’). Loas, Vietnam, Cambodia, China, and Thailand (‘siam benzoin’)
Synonyms: Gum benzoin, gum Benjamin
Essential Oil Properties and Characteristics: A large tropical tree found in Thailand and adjacent islands. It has pale green citrus like leaves, whitish underneath, bearing hard-shelled flattish fruit about the size of a nutmeg. Benzoin is a pathological product, formed when the trunk is cut; the tree exudes the balsamic resin which hardens upon exposure to air and sunlight.
Strictly speaking Benzoin is not an essential oil, as it is a pure resin which needs to be melted with heat before it can be used.
Origin and History: Benzoin has been used for thousands of years in the east as a medicine and incense; the fumigations were believed to drive away evil spirits. It was used by the Chinese herbalists for its heating and drying qualities, as a good urinary antiseptic and as an aid in digestion. In the west, it is best known in the form of compound tincture of benzoin or Friars Balsam, used for respiratory complaints.
Method of Extraction: Crude benzoin is collected from the trees directly. Benzoin resinoid, or ‘resin absolute’, is prepared from the crude using solvents, for example benzene and alcohol which are then removed. Commercial benzene is usually sold dissolved in ethyl glycol or a similar solvent. A ‘true’ absolute is also produced in small quantities.
Precautions During Use (Contraindications): Benzoin is non-toxic, non-irritant, possible sensitisation.
• Anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, antiseptic and astringent.
• It is soothing, warming and stimulating.
• Its warming properties make it a valuable oil for use to help fend off winter ailments.
• Useful for treating asthma, bronchitis, coughs and laryngitis
Subtle Aromatherapy (for mental and emotional wellness)
• Useful for helping people get through various life crises
• Helps us find a new direction when we feel stuck and resistant to change
• It’s mentally calming while at the same time being physically strengthening, useful for dispelling anger
• Brings comfort to the sad, lonely and depressed.
• Helps to let go of worries, instils confidence and eases exhausted emotional psychic states.
Find out how I can help you manage stress, anxiety and overwhelm
All 3 Minute Yoga Video About Me Aromatherapy Aromatic Kinesiology Client Stories Connaught Telegraph Foot Reflex Massage Indian Head Massage Kundalini Yoga Meditation Personal Development Radiant Child Yoga Reiki & Seichem Reiki & Seichem Training Self Care Self-Care Stress Management Yoga